replaces the Alternative Service Book; liturgies will be available
at this C of E site as they are developed. Morning Prayer, Evening
Prayer, and Night Prayer from Common Worship with with today's
readings are also
available from the Church of England
Service Book (ASB): several sections available
in RTF format; other Church of England liturgical resources are available
here as well.
Holy Communion, First Series (1967): The first steps leading up to the Alternative Service Book.
News of Liturgy archive: All issues of the newsletter, which primarily focussed on Church of Englad liturgy, and was published from 1975-2003.
Portions of the Book of Common Prayer in Cornish (1980)
Anglo-Catholic Liturgies: From the early to mid-1900's a number of unofficial Communion Liturgies were published, primarily for use by Anglo-Catholic parishes. These include:
A New Mass Book for the Laity (1965)
The Interim Rite (c. 1958)
A Parish Communion Book (1940).
The Communion Service As It Might Be (1935). An Anglo-Catholic adaptation of the 1928 service
An Anglican Use (1930), by Horace Spance. A guide to (mostly) Anglo-Catholic ceremonial.
A Mass Book according to the Western Rite (c. 1930).
A Simple Mass Book (1920)
Little Missal for the Laity (1916)
The Shorter Prayer Book (1946)
The Churchpeople's Prayer Book (1935) From Wales, but also used in England.
Common Prayer for Children (1931)
The  Holy Communion rearranged to follow the Order of Communoin 1548 and the 1549 BCP, by Edward C. Ratcliff (1931)
Proposed Book of Common Prayer. Approved
by the Church, but rejected by Parliament.
1923 Draft Book of Common Prayer. The initial attempt at revision, leading up to the 1928 Proposed Book.
A Survey of Proposals for the Alternative Prayer Book. A response to the 1923 Draft from the Alcuin Club.
The "Green Book". A response to the 1923 Draft from the English Church Union.
The "Grey Book". Another response to the 1923 Draft, from a liberal group.
The New Prayer Book Explained. An SPCK pamphlet on the Proposed Prayer Book
The New Prayer Book. A defense of the Proposed Prayer book from the Bishop of Gloucester, Arthur C. Headlam
The New Prayer Book: A collection of eight lectures (including one by Evelyn Underhill) in support of the proposed Prayer Book, edited by H. Maurice Relton.
Prayer Book Revised, a proposed
revision from 1913, said to be by Percy Dearmer, along Anglo-Catholic
lines. (from the Internet Archive)
Statutory Common Prayer (1901), a "true" copy of the 1662 BCP, without any of the unauthorized changes which had crept in over the years.
The Convocation Prayer Book (1879), an attempt by the Convocations of York & Canterbury to modify certain rubrics in the 1662 BCP. (from Google Books)
(Proposed) Amendments to the Book of Common Prayer (1861): Proposals to move the Prayer Book in a decidedly Protestant direction.
Abridgement of the Book of Common Prayer (1773): A proposal from Benjamin Franklin & Sir Francis Dashwood.
of the Nonjurors: The
Communion office, a BCP, and descriptions of these 18th-century liturgies.
Proposed Book of Common Prayer: The
"Liturgy of Comprehension".
Forms for the Consecration of Churches and Churchyards, by Lancelot Andrewes (1620), and as passed by Convocation (1712).
Church of England is, of course, the "mother church" of
all the churches in the Anglican Communion. We have here the texts
(or links to the texts) of all Church of England Books of Common
Prayer dating back to the first, in 1549 - plus quite a bit of other
related material. Everything is presented here more or less chronologically,
starting with the newest.
Links in bold are on this site.
- 1662 Book of Common Prayer:
- The complete 1662
Book of Common Prayer, in HTML format, from Lynda Howell.;
also in PDF
format (note that this is a single very large file)
- The Church of England now has the
complete 1662 BCP online.
1662 BCP, as printed by John Baskerville
in 1762; in PDF format
- The 1662 BCP,
as engraved and printed by John Sturt in 1717;
as PDF graphics.
- The making of the 1662 BCP, a transcription of the manuscript attached to the 1662 Act of Uniformity; also the marked-up 1636 BCP approved by Convocation in 1661.
- Deviations of Modern  Editions of the 1662 Prayer Book from the Text of the Sealed Books, a report of a Commision charged to determine if significant deviations existed.
- The 1662 Book as a series of B/W pictures in
Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format, from a 1771 printing (Griffiths 1771/2).
The Internet Archive
has several 19th and late 18th century Books of Common Prayer online.
All are in PDF graphics and plain text formats (the text files are uncorrected and so will
- A "current" (1953) standard
copy, from OUP (Griffiths 1913/3); includes the English Hymnal
Cambridge U Press for SPCK, with prayers for Edward VIII;
Collins Clear-Type (Griffiths 1921/1)
1915, Eyre & Spottiswoode (Griffiths 1862/2);
- 1906, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1906/3)
elaborate and richly decorated edition from Essex House Press
from about 1892, which includes many marginal notes (Griffiths
of the Original Manuscript of the BCP (Griffiths 1891/1)
- 1888: "The Prayer Book Interleaved ..." 11th ed. of that below (Griffiths 1888/4)
Cambridge U Press for SPCK (Griffiths 1882/5)
- The Book
of Common Prayer Revised (Griffiths 1874/10): a "low-church"
1800's: Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1871/5)
"The Prayer Book Interleaved with Historical Illustrations and
Explanatory Notes", Cambridge U. Press & Rivingtons (Griffiths
richly decorated, publ. Bickers & Bush (Griffiths 1863/22);
- 1854, Oxford U Press for SPCK (Griffiths 1852/21)
- 1852, BCP "adapted for general use in other Protestant Churches" (Griffiths 1852/32)
with notes by Richard Mant, publ. Rivingtons (Griffiths 1850/24);
- 1850, richly illustrated, publ. J Murray (Griffiths 1850/26); also 1845 printing (Griffiths 1845/24)
- 1849 & 1850 The Book of Common Prayer : Printed from the Manuscript Originally Annexed to Stat. 17 & 18 Car. II. c. 6. (Ir.) and now preserved in the Rolls' Office, Dublin: Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol.3, with many notes (Griffiths 1849/24)
- 1839, Oxford U Press
Pictorial Edition", publ. C Knight, 1838 (Griffiths 1838/24); another printing from Ward & Lock (1860; Griffiths 1846/33)
- another "illuminated" edition, publ. R Ryley, 1838 (Griffiths 1838/26)
- 1820, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1820/8)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1816/7);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1816/8);
"The Christian's Best Companion", with notes (Griffiths
- 1810, John Reeves (Griffiths 1810/2)
1808, Cambridge U Press (one of the first stereotyped printings);
- 1796, Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1796/2)
- 1796, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1796/9)
Good & Harding, London (Griffiths 1794/9)
- 1791, Oxford (Griffiths 1791/7)
- ~1789, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1789/4?)
- 1777, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1777/5)
- 1772, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1772/3)
- 1770, Cambridge U Press, Griffiths 1770/2)
Baskett, London (Griffiths 1753/1)
- 1724?, Sturt, London, entirely engraved
- 1716, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1716/4)
- 1710, Wm. Bradford, New York (Griffiths 1710/9). The first BCP printed in North America.
- 1706, Oxford U Press, Griffiths 1706/7, with Sturt engravings
- 1669, HM Printers, London (Griffiths 1669/1)
- and 1666, J Field, Cambridge, incl. KJV Bible (Griffiths 1666/1)
- Google Books also has a number
of 18th and 19th century printings online. All are as PDF graphics and
may have lines cut off, pages out of order and possibly missing, etc.
Prayer Book Interleaved with Historical Illustrations and Explanatory
Notes, by WM Campion & WJ Beaumont (1898 13th ed.,
- 1891, Facsimile
of the Original Manuscript of the (1662)
BCP (Griffiths 1891/1)
- 1880, The
Convocation Prayer Book, being the BCP ... with Altered Rubrics
U Press, 1869 (Griffiths 1865/5)
U Press, 1868 (Griffiths 1866/4)
U Press, 1866 (Griffiths 1866/7)
U Press, 1866 (Griffiths 1866/8)
U Press, 1865 (Griffiths 1865/9)
in Pitman shorthand (Griffiths 1865/15)
Arranged as Said Edition of the BCP, 1864 (Griffiths 1864/10)
- 1862, Oxford U Press, The
BCP ... Together with the Proper Lessons for Morning & Evening
Prayer; also 1857
Oxford U Press for SPCK (Griffiths 1859/8)
Whole BCP ..., Prayer Book & Homily Soc. (Griffiths
BCP ... for General Use (Griffiths 1855/28)
from 1853, with elaborate woodcut borders by Mary Byfield, publ.
Pickering (Griffiths 1853/22) ; also similar 1863
printing of R&A Suttaby (Griffiths 1863/22)
phonography (i. e., Pitman shorthand - 1853, Griffiths 1853/24);
the Internet Archive, 1869 (Griffiths 1869/9);
"with illustrations, chiefly from the Old Masters", Oxford
U Press (Griffiths 1852/31) ;
- BCP "text taken from the Manuscript Book originally Annexed
to Stat. 17 & 18 Car. II c. 6 with an Historical Introduction
& Notes", by Archibald John Stephens, Vol.
1, 1849; Vol.
2, 1850; Vol.
3, 1854 (Griffiths 1849/22)
- 1852, Oxford U Press
Eyre & Spottiswoode
Pickering, London; in blackletter (Griffiths 1844/32)
Cambridge U Press for SPCK
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1840/19a)
with notes by Richard Mant, publ. Parker & Rivingtons (Griffiths
1840/23a) also 1849
with color illustrations (Griffiths 1838/26)
Oxford U Press for SPCK (Griffiths 1837/16);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1836/10)
from Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1828/10);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1829/10);
Oxford U Press
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1825/13)
"with Notes" by Bp. Richard Mant (Griffiths 1825/20)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1824/18);
Bartlett & Hinton, Oxford (Griffiths 1815/19)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1822/14)
J McGowan, London (Griffiths 1822/19)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1818/14)
- three edited with notes by Sir John Bayley (1813,
Griffiths 1813/1; 1816,
Griffiths 1816/1 and 1824,
Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1816/2)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1815/12);
Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1814/6) ;
J Christophe, Verdun (France) ed. JB Maude (Griffiths 1810/16)
"with an introduction" by Rev. Richard Warner (Griffiths
- 1800, London, "illustrated with notes" (Griffiths 1800/8)
- 1799, London, "with notes" (Griffiths 1799/6)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1798/7)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1797/6)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1797/7)
- 1797, London (Griffiths 1797/9)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1796/5)
- 1794, Newcastle, "with notes & annotations" (Griffiths 1794/10)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1793/4)
- 1793, Bath, "illustrated with notes" (Griffiths 1793/12)
T Davison, London, "with Notes" (Griffiths 1792/9)
- 1792, J Jarvis, London (Griffiths 1792/11)
J Jarvis, London (Griffiths 1791/13);
P Didot, Paris, with "Preferatory Introductions" (Griffiths
- 1790, Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1790/1)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1790/6)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1790/9)
- 1790, The Christian's Companion, or the BCP... with notes ... (Griffiths 1790/12)
Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1789/1);
- 1787, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1787/4)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1784/2);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1784/3)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1783/6)
A new Family Prayer-book containing the BCP ... (Griffiths
The BCP ... Illustrated & Explained ... (Griffiths
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1778/4)
The Christian's Universal Companion, containing the Whole Book
of Common Prayer ... (Griffiths 1778/6)
Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1777/1)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1774/3)
Abridgement of the BCP ... (Griffiths
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1772/3);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1772/4)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1771/5); incl. KJV Bible
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1770/12)
- 1769, Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1769/2)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1768/6)
- 1768, A New & Correct Edition of the BCP [with] Alterations & Amendments ... (Griffiths 1768/10)
Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1765/3);
- 1765, An Exposition on the BCP with Notes ... (Griffiths 1765/8)
Baskett, London (Griffiths 1763/2)
- 1762, Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1762/12)
Baskerville, Cambridge (Griffiths 1762/4)
Baskerville, Cambridge (Griffiths 1762/8)
Baskerville, Cambridge (Griffiths 1761/1)
Baskerville, Cambridge (Griffiths 1761/2)
The Christian Common Prayer Book, or Universal Liturgy
- 1760, Cambridge U Press (Griffiths 1760/8)
A Watkins, Edinburgh (Griffiths 1756/9)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1740/2); incl. Constitution & Canons
- 1745, J Bentham, Cambridge (Griffiths 1745/7)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1737/3);
HM Printers, London (Griffiths 1731/2
in shorthand (Griffiths 1730/7)
HM Printers, London (Griffiths 1729/2)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1729/7)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1721/3)
J Baskett, London (Griffiths 1720/2)
J Watson, Edinburgh (Griffiths 1720/5)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1719/6);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1716/4)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1712/4 & 1710/5)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1712/6)
- 1707, Bill & Newcomb, London (Griffiths 1707/2)
- 1706, Bill & Newcomb, London; includes "At the Healing"& Canons (Griffiths 1706/1)
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1703/6);
Oxford U Press (Griffiths 1701/3)
C Bill, London (Griffiths 1693/2)
- 1687, C Bill, London (Griffiths 1687/1)
- 1681, J Bill et al., London (Griffiths 1681/1)
- 1675, J Bill et al., London (Griffiths 1675/2)
- 1674, J Bill et al., London (Griffiths 1674/3)
Communion in large type.
- Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer (from the 1662 book), and Compline
with today's readings are available on the Church
of England's web site.
- Variations in the 1662 Book:
Yes, there have been changes over the years - now you can date that
old Prayer Book.
- The 1662
BCP in Latin.
- The 1662
BCP in French
- The 1662
BCP in Spanish
- The 1662 BCP in Hebrew
- The 1662 BCP in Dutch
- Portions of the 1662
BCP in Esperanto
- Evening Prayer in Manx
- Portions of the BCP in a
French - English diglot, prepared at the request of Henri
Christophe, king of Haiti.
- The 1662 Book has been translated into many languages. Links
to all may be found on our Other Languages
page. Several of these are on the web thanks to Project
Canterbury. Another site hosts the 1662 Book in Manx
Gaelic. The Internet Archive has the 1662 BCP in Arabic
(1902, Griffiths 8:9) "Ecclesiastical"
Greek (1923, Griffiths 45:8), and in Eskimo,
or Inuktitut (1900, Griffiths 32:2), all in PDF. Google Books additionally
has the 1662 BCP in Mohawk
(1842, Griffiths 111:8). There are many others.
Prayer in Jèrriais - a French dialect of the Channel Is.
- We also have the 1918 Canadian BCP (very similar to the 1662
book) in Ukrainian.
Title page of the
1662 BCP, as currently printed
"Griffiths" refers to books listed in David Griffiths' Bibliography
of the Book of Common Prayer.