|The Book of Common Prayer|
Papua New Guinea (PNG) is a former Australian / UK dependency which occupies the eastern half of the island of New Guinea, plus a number of smaller offshore islands. Anglicanism there began with the arrival of a small group of missionaries in 1891. It continued through the focused work of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel and the Australian Board of Missions well through World War II, during which missionaries and their congregations suffered imprisonment and death at the hands of the Japanese military.
The Anglican Church of Papua New Guinea came into existence as a separate province of the Anglican Communion in 1977 following PNG independence in 1975. Today, there are five dioceses in Papua New Guinea: Aipo Rongo, Port Moresby, Popondota, New Guinea Islands, and Dogura.
This collection of services was published by the PNG
provincial council in 1976 in typescript, mimeographed format of 130
pages. A companion book in the same format was also published at the
same time, including daily offices. The pastoral and occasional services
reproduced here are noticeably Anglo-Catholic in character, including
full modern-language texts for Holy Week rites. Although Papua New Guinea
is a country of extremely high linguistic density, with biblical and
liturgical publications in many local languages, English serves as a
lingua franca across the province. This group of liturgies, along with
the 1970 Niugini Liturgy, are predecessors
to the current official prayer book of the Church of the Province of
New Guinea, which was published in 1991 under the title Anglican
Prayer Book. Further information on this book and its development
may be found in The
Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer.
|Thanks are due to David Kalvelage for loaning a copy of this rare book, and to Richard Mammana for digitizing the text.|
1. Form of admission of catechumens
|Web author: Charles Wohlers||U. S. England Scotland Ireland Wales Canada World|