|The Book of Common Prayer|
ACTS OF PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING
24. A GENERAL THANKSGIVING
V. O Father of all. who art wisdom and beauty and goodness, whose spirit ever strives in the souls of men, we thank thee that thou hast made us heirs of all the ages of thy creative effort, and called us to share some part of thy burden of redemption.R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the vision of thyself in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; for thy divine compassion which carest for us despite our weaknesses, cowardice, and self-love; and for thy leadership until this hour,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the radiance, mystery and surprise of this dear world; for thy wisdom and beauty revealed in it; and for the love of friends which sweetens and enriches it,R . Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the leaven of thy ideals of liberty and justice and brotherhood, which have worked so mightily and still work so hopefully among the peoples of the earth,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. Because through suffering and weakness, thou hast taught us patience, and given us the sense of dependence upon thee; because in health and strength thou hast given us to share thy joy in being active; and because in sorrow thou hast revealed to us the glory of others' kindness,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the discipline of life, for the endurance which is learnt through drudgery; for the work which is its own reward; and for the difficulties which are the material of victory, thy victory in us,
R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. Because through the turmoil of life, we find thy peace; because for the adventure of life, we need thy strength; and because in the supreme adventure of death, we have thy blessed hope,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the laughter of children; for mirth and wit; for the jest of gallant souls that makes us ashamed to be afraid; and for the cheerfulness of suffering folk, which shames us out of self-concern,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For thy Church on earth, for the comfort and encouragement of the blessed company of faithful people; and above all for the sense of thy companionship with us in loneliness and fellowship, in sacrament and prayer,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord. Amen.
25. CONCERNING THE CHILDREN
V. Let us give thanks for Christ's revelation to us of God's love for children, and of their infinite value in his sight.R. Alleluia. Blessed be God, eternal friend of children.
V. For his tender compassion towards them ; for his burning indignation against those who do them wrong; for his deep and overflowing love, drawing them towards himself; for his message of their nearness to the Father of all,R. Blessed be God.
V. For the beauty of children and their joy in beautiful things; for their mirth and laughter; and for the joy and light they bring into the world,R. Blessed be God.
V. For their enthusiasms, their abounding energy, and their love of the heroic and adventurous; for their candid generous trust in those around them; and for their quick response to calls of love and service,R. Blessed be God.
V. For the childhood of Jesus our Lord; for his birth andR. Blessed be God.
helpless babyhood; for his mother's gentle care and nurture; and for all unknown souls who nursed and tended him,
V. For his joyful, eager, natural, obedient boyhood, uplifting human childhood into the Godhead; for the grace and love of God, by which we know he took to himself the form of a child, and gave to us the joy of knowing the Father,R. Blessed be God.
V. And as we give thanks for the infinite value of children, so let us pray for fathers and mothers, and for all of us through whom children receive their first thoughts of God. That we may have a deepened sense of the fatherhood of God, and may so practice his presence, that the children may be won for Jesus,R. Hear us, our Father.
V. That we may have the love of parents and the wisdom of teachers' that our lives may be ruled by simplicity, gladness, and sympathy; and that we may guide by the constraining influence of love, rather than by the restraint of fear,R. Hear us, our Father.
V. That with patience we may foster in children a love of goodness, truth, and beauty; and that we may lead the splendid energy of youth to find its outlet and salification in fellowship and service,R. Hear us, our Father.
V. That by the inspiration of thy loving Spirit we may direct the thoughts of our children through curiosity to wonder, through fairies to angels, through the imagination of the delights of playtime to the worship of the joys of the Eternal,R. Hear us, our Father.
V. That by the same Spirit we may inspire the children to think of Christ as ever near; to know his standard as our standard, his cause as our cause, himself as our captain and hero and king,R. Hear us, our Father.
V. Let us in silence remember before God all children born with some defect of body or hindered by their environment, all orphaned, homeless, or unwanted children all children of loveless homes.
O HEAVENLY FATHER, make our hearts burn within us for the children who go neglected or unloved; let thy Spirit breathe into us a living renewal, that with wise statesmanship, and readiness to combine with others, we may turn to good account every law for their welfare; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
MAY the grace of courage, gaiety, and the quiet mind, with all such blessedness as belongs to the children of the Father in heaven, be ours; to the praise of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, who ever liveth and reigneth, one God, world without end. Amen.
26. AN ACT OF PRAISE
V. Let us praise God: For the day, for the glory and warmth of the sun for the stir of life, and for honest toil that wins food and rest.R. God be praised for the day.
V. For the earth, the sustainer of life; for the hills, the plains, and the dales; and for the beauty of meadows and fields, of flowers and of trees.R. God be praised for the earth.
V. For the sky, for the shifting clouds, and for the glory of sunrise and sunset.R. God be praised for the sky.
V. For the sea, that yields and receives again the water without which life would die, and is wonderful in its stillness and more wonderful in its storm.R. God be praised for the sea.
V. Let us praise God: For our food, and the pleasures he has given us in it, lest we should neglect the needs of life; may he help us to shun all waste and to rejoice in sharing with others.R. God be praised for our food.
V. For the shelter from wind and weather, which hallowedR. God be praised for our home.
by love becomes our home; may he strengthen our will that no one shall go hungry or ill-housed or ill-clad.
V. Let us praise God: For our fathers and mothers, by whom he orders lives and comforts hearts, bringing strength to a house and sweetness to labor; may he hallow their work andR. God be praised for good fathers and mothers.
direct their ways.
V. For the gift of children; may he help us to train them to be reverent and truthful, that they may gladden our hearts and bring joy to the world.R. God be praised for children.
V. For good friends to rejoice with us in our joys, to cheer us in trouble and to lighten our tasks; may he help us to repay them in fellowship and service.R. God be praised for our friends.
V. Let us praise God : For joy that heightens all our life and doubles our powers; may he help us to kindle it in the hearts of others by the gladness of our face.R. God be praised for joy.
V. For mirth, that unites us with others and refreshes us for our work; may he help us to keep it kind and true.R. God be praised for mirth.
V. For health, bringing wholesomeness of body and mind; may he help us to give our strength to his service.R. God be praised for health.
V. Let us praise God for life.
R. All praise be to God. Amen.
27. AN EXPRESSION OF JOY AND HUMILITY
V. Let us praise God in gladness and humility for all great and simple joys; and for the weak things of the earth which have confounded the strong,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the gift of wonder and the joy of discovery; for the everlasting freshness of experience; for the newness of life each day as we grow older,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the fireside and the intimate talks of friendship; for the little traditions and customs of the home; for meals eaten together in fellowship; and for all the sanctities of family life,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For games and holidays in the open air; for bright eyes and lovely bodies; for books and pictures and all our small possessions,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For birds; for children and the joy of innocency; for the joy of work attempted and achieved; for the joy of harvest and the wedding feast,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the trees in spring and the fruit blossoms; for the smell of the country after rain; for the green grass and the flowers; for cloud and sun and hills and mountain streams,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the joy which is born of sympathy and sorrow; for the joy of the lost soul finding love again; and for the joy of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all pure comedy and laughter; and for the gift of humor and gaiety of heart,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all the Lord's merry-men, who have consecrated mirth with the love of Christ,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all singers and musicians ; for all who work in form and color to increase the joy of life,R. Glory be to thee. O Lord.
V. For poets and craftsmen; for all who rejoice in their work and make things well,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all who have loved the common people and borne their sorrows in their hearts,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all obscure and humble saints, for village priests, and ministering women, who have made life sweeter and gentler,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all ignorant disciples, who have misunderstood the Christian doctrines, and yet lived in the companionship of Christ,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the image of Christ in ordinary people, their forbearance and their generosity, their good temper in crowds and railway trains, their courage and their kindness,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For the glory of God shining in common-place lives; for husband and wife scheming to please one another; for the sacrifices of both for their children,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
V. For all holy and humble men of heart, in whom the loveliness of our Saviour Christ has been made manifest to the world,R. Glory be to thee, O Lord.
¶ These prayers are additional to those printed in the
FOR SPECIAL GIFTS AND GRACES
FOR LOVE OF GOD
1. O GOD. the God of all goodness and of all grace who art worthy of a greater love than we can either give or understand; fill our hearts, we beseech thee with such love towards thee that nothing may seem too hard for us to do or to suffer in obedience to thy will; and grant that thus loving thee, we may become daily more like unto thee and finally obtain the crown of life which thou hast promised to those that love thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
2. ETERNAL GOD, the light of the minds that know thee, the joy of the hearts that love thee, and the strength of the wills that serve thee; grant us so to know thee that we may truly love thee, so to love, that we may fully serve thee, to the honor and glory of thy holy name. Amen.
3. GRANT, we, beseech thee, Almighty God, that we who are burdened with the consciousness of our guilt may by thy merciful pardon be absolved that being cleansed from all stain of sin, we may be clothed in thy righteousness, and worthily rejoice in the joy of thy saints' through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR GUIDANCE AND KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S WILL
4. O GOD. who hast spoken to us by thy Spirit moving in the hearts of prophets and saints; grant us so to hear their scriptures, read, study, and meditate upon them that we may be led into ever fuller truth, and be guided in the way of life eternal; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
5. TEACH us, good Lord, to serve thee as thou deservest; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and not to ask reward, save that of knowing that we do thy will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
6. O THOU who art heroic love, keep alive in our hearts that adventurous spirit, which makes men scorn the way of safety, so that thy will be done. For so only, O Lord, shall we be worthy of those courageous souls, who in every age have ventured all in obedience to thy call, and for whom the trumpets have sounded on the farther shore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
7. O ETERNAL GOD, who in Jesus Christ thy Son hast shown us the revelation of thy character; help us in him to see thee as thou art, and to walk in the way which he has declared to us; who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit now and ever. Amen.
8. BE thou, O Lord, we beseech thee, the saviour and sanctifier of thy people, that we who are strengthened by thy risen presence may in our daily life walk with thee, and in humble trust seek to follow, as thou callest us by name and dost lead us out, our Shepherd and our Lord. Amen.
9. O GOD, who workest in love unceasingly, and wouldst give to each man his appointed work; help us steadfastly and as in thy sight to fulfill the duties of our calling; so that when our Lord shall take account of us, we may be found faithful stewards and enter into his eternal joy; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR DIVINE PROTECTION
10. PROTECT us, O Lord, in all the changes of this mortal life, that we, surely trusting thy never-failing fatherly love, may accept the issues of life in the glad service of thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
11. O GOD, mercifully grant unto us that the fire of thy love may burn up in us all things that displease thee and make us sweet for thy heavenly kingdom; for the sake of Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.
12. O GOD, ,who through the mighty resurrection of thy Son Jesus Christ from the dead hast delivered us from the power of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of thy love; grant, we beseech thee, that as by his death he has recalled us unto life, so by his presence ever abiding in us he may raise us to joys eternal; through him who for our sakes died and rose again and is ever with us in power and great glory, even the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
13. O GOD of hope, fill us, we beseech thee, with all joy
14. O GOD, our heavenly Father, who dost bless the meek with a rich inheritance, make us less ready to speak ill of our neighbors and to find fault with one another and less anxious to win the good opinion of men. Keep us we pray thee, from bitterness and envy, and teach us to care only to do the thing that pleaseth thee, that thy loving Spirit may lead us into the land of righteousness and peace. Amen.
15. GOD our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ direct our ways; the Lord make us to increase and abound in love one towards another, and towards all men to the end that he may establish our hearts unblameable in holiness before God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR USE ON SPECIAL OCCASIONS
AT HOLY COMMUNION
16. ALMIGHTY GOD, who hast given to thy people the true Bread who cometh down from heaven, even thy Son Jesus Christ; grant that our souls may be so fed by him who giveth health unto the world, that we may abide in him and he in us, and thy Church be filled with the power of his deathless life; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
17. O CHRIST, the true Vine and the source of life, ever giving thyself that the world may live, who also hast taught us that those who would follow thee must will to lose their lives for thy sake; grant us so to receive within our souls the power of thine eternal sacrifice that in sharing thy cup we may share thy glory and at the last be made perfect in thy love; to the honor of thy holy name. Amen.
18. VISIT, O Lord, we pray thee, and cleanse our consciences, that thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ, when he cometh, may find in us a dwelling prepared for himself; who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
19. INCLINE thy merciful ear, O Lord. to our prayers and enlighten our hearts by the grace of thy Holy Spirit, that we may worthily approach these sacred mysteries and love thee with an everlasting love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
20. GRANT, we beseech thee, O Christ, that as we all share in one life, being members of thy body, so we may all use thy gifts for the perfecting of the saints, unto the work of ministering, unto the building up of thy body, till we attain unto the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of thee, unto a full-grown man, unto the measure of the stature of thy fullness, to whom be all praise and glory now and for evermore. Amen.
21. GRANT us, O Lord, the help of thy grace, that at this holy sacrament we may bring all our thoughts and desires into subjection to thy blessed will, and may offer our souls and bodies as a living sacrifice unto thee, in union with the perfect sacrifice of thy Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
AFTER HOLY COMMUNION
22. SANCTIFY, O Lord, both our coming in and our going forth; and grant that when we leave thy house we may not leave thy presence, but be thou ever near unto us and keep us near unto thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
23. BLESSED LORD, who for our sakes wast content to bear sorrow and want and death, grant unto us such a measure of thy Spirit that we may follow thee in all thy courage and self-denial, and help us by thy great love to succor the afflicted, to relieve the needy and destitute, to share the burdens of the heavy laden, and to see thee in all who are poor and desolate; who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end, Amen.
24. O GOD, who in this wonderful sacrament hast left us a memorial of thy cross and passion, grant us so to venerate the sacred mysteries of thy body and blood, that we may ever perceive within ourselves the fruits of thy redemption; who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever. Amen.
25. GRANT, O Lord, that the ears which have heard the voice of thy songs may be closed to the voice of clamor and dispute; that the eyes which have seen thy great love may also behold thy blessed hope; that the tongues which have sung thy praise may speak the truth; that the feet which have walked thy courts may walk in the region of light; and that the bodies which have partaken of thy living body may be restored in newness of life. Glory be to thee for thine unspeakable gift. Amen.
26. ALMIGHTY GOD, who hast given us to receive the body and blood of thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ, that, by means thereof we may be united more closely unto thee, grant that we may strive to promote unity and fellowship among all men; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
27. REMEMBER, O Lord, what thou hast wrought in us and not what we deserve, and as thou hast called us to thy service, make us worthy of our calling; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
28. O GOD, who through thine only begotten Son Jesus Christ hast overcome death and opened unto us the gate of everlasting life ; grant that, as he was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life and seek those things which are above, where with thee, O Father, and the Holy Spirit, he liveth and reigneth for ever and ever. Amen.
AT ROGATION TIDE
29. GIVE, O Lord, to all who till the ground the wisdom to understand thy laws, and to co-operate with thy wise ordering of the world. Give to men of science the power to discover the secrets of nature. Give to our statesmen the will to make just laws. Give to farmers and laborers the desire to work together in the spirit of justice and good will. And grant that the fruits of thy bountiful earth may not be hoarded by selfish men or squandered by foolish men, but that all who work may share abundantly in the harvest of thy soil, according to thy will, revealed to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
30. O GOD, who in the exaltation of thy Son Jesus Christ dost sanctify thy universal Church; shed abroad in every race and nation the gift of his Spirit; that the work wrought by his power at the first preaching of the gospel may be extended throughout the whole world; through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the same Spirit now and ever. Amen.
IN TIME OF SCARCITY
31. O GOD, our heavenly Father, who by thy blessed Son hast taught us to ask our daily bread of thee; behold, we beseech thee, the afflictions of thy people, and send us a seasonable relief in this our necessity. Increase the fruits of the earth by thy heavenly benediction, and grant that we, receiving with thankfulness thy gracious gifts, may use the same to thy glory, the relief of those that are needy, and our own comfort; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
32. ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who hast graciously given to us the fruits of the earth in their season, we yield thee humble and hearty thanks for these thy bounties, beseeching thee to give us grace rightly to use them to thy glory and the relief of those that need; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THE DIOCESE OR PARISH DURING A VACANCY
33. ALMIGHTY GOD, the giver of all good gifts, look graciously, we beseech thee, on thy Church, and so guide with thy heavenly wisdom the minds of those to whom is committed the choice of a bishop for this diocese (or rector or vicar for this parish), that we may receive a faithful pastor who shall shepherd thy people according to thy will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR A RETREAT OR QUIET DAY
34. O LORD Jesus Christ, who didst say to thy disciples, Come ye apart and rest awhile, grant us so to seek thee whom our souls desire to love, that we may both find thee and be found of thee; who with the Father in the unity of the Spirit livest and reignest, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
DURING AN ELECTION
35. ALMIGHTY GOD, the fountain of all wisdom, guide and direct, we humbly beseech thee, the minds of all those who are called at this time to exercise the responsible duty of electing fit persons to serve in the government of this nation (or of this state or city or town). Grant that the effect and right issue of their choice may promote thy glory and the welfare of this people; and to all those who shall be elected, give, we pray thee, the spirit of wisdom, courage, sympathy, and true godliness. And this we ask for the sake of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.
UNDER THREAT OF WAR
36. O GOD, who hast made of one blood all 'the nations of the earth, and hast set the bounds of their habitation that they might seek after thee and find thee; mercifully hear our supplications, and remove from us the menace of war. Guide the rulers with thy counsel and restrain the passions of the people, so that bloodshed may be averted and peace be preserved. And, by the pouring forth of thy Spirit upon all flesh, quicken the sense of our common brotherhood bring the nations into a new bond of fellowship, and hasten the time when the kingdoms of this world shall become the kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
37. O ALMIGHTY GOD, the refuge of all them that put their trust in thee, we turn to thee in this time of trouble; direct the course of this world, we humbly beseech thee. in accordance with thy holy will; take away whatsoever hinders the nations from unity and concord; prosper all counsels which make for the restoration of a rightful and abiding peace. And this we ask for thy mercy's sake, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
38. LORD of boundless love, who in thine hour of agony didst pray for those who nailed thee to the Cross, help us also in all humility and all sincerity to pray for our enemies. Incline their soldiers and sailors and ours to mercy. Give fresh vision to their rulers and people, and grant that, having seen thy truth, they may have courage to uphold it; so that when this hour of conflict is passed, they and we may be reunited in the bonds of Christian love, and work together, as thy children, for the advancement of thy kingdom and to the glory of thy name. Amen.
AT NEW YEAR
39. ETERNAL FATHER, who makest all things new yet abidest for ever the same, grant us so to pass through this coming year with faithful hearts, that we may spend all our days in thy service, and in all things do thy loving will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
AT THE END OF A YEAR
40. MOST gracious God, who hast been merciful unto us not only in the year past but through all the years of our life; pardon our sins, fashion in us those virtues which are acceptable unto thee, and grant that in sincerity we may serve thee more faithfully in the year that is to come; for Jesus Christ's sake. Amen.
41. O LORD Most High, let our prayers he set before thee as incense, and the lifting up of our hands as the evening sacrifice. Unite us in faith with thy whole Church, in hope with thy saints in heaven, and in love with all who are praying at this hour; and grant by thy mercies, that we may present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy. acceptable unto thee, which is our reasonable service, and by thy grace be enabled to offer unto thee the sacrifice of a contrite heart, which thou, O God, wilt not despise. Amen.
42. O GOD of peace, our Father, we come to thee for refuge from the noise and hurry of the world, and the oppression of selfish thoughts and fears. Deliver us from the sins which hide thee from men and give us of thy peace. And, we pray thee, grant that the spirit which dwelt in thy Son without measure may so dwell in us that we may worship thee in humility and gladness, and go forth with hearts made cheerful and strong by the knowledge of thy love ; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
AT MORNING PRAYER
43. O THOU who makest the stars and turnest the shadow of death into the morning, we render thee, our Lord and King, the tribute of our praise, for this new day, for the everlasting hopes that rise within the human heart, and for the gospel which has brought life and immortality to light. Amen.
44. O LORD, who hast brought us through the darkness of night to the light of morning, and who, by thy Holy Spirit, dost illumine the darkness of ignorance and sin; we beseech thee of thy loving-kindness to pour thy holy light into our souls that we may be ever devoted to thee, by whose wisdom we were created, by whose mercy we were redeemed, and by whose providence we are governed; to the honor and glory of thy great name. Amen.
AT EVENING PRAYER
45. BE present, O merciful God, and protect us through the silent hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world may repose upon thine unchanging love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
46. LOOK down, O Lord, from thy heavenly throne and illumine the darkness of this night with thy celestial brightness and from the sons of light banish the deeds of darkness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
47. O GOD who never steepest and art never weary, have mercy upon those who watch to-night:
FOR THE COMING OF THE KINGDOM
48. O GOD, who hast set before us the great hope that thy kingdom shall be established upon earth! so rule our lives by thy Spirit that all our thoughts, desires, and acts being made obedient unto thee, thy power, thy glory, and the mightiness of thy kingdom may be made known unto men; grant this, O merciful Father, for Jesus Christ's sake, thy Son our Lord. Amen.
49. O GOD, who by thy Spirit in our hearts dost lead men to desire thy perfection, to seek for truth and to rejoice in beauty; illuminate and inspire, we beseech thee, all thinkers, writers, artists, and craftsmen; that, in whatsoever is true and pure and lovely, thy name may be hallowed and thy kingdom come on earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
50. O GOD the strength of them that labor and the rest of the weary'; grant us when we are tired with our work to be recreated by thy Spirit; that being renewed for the service of thy kingdom, we may serve thee gladly in freshness of body and mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THE CHURCH
51. O GOD, the source of all good gifts, we thank thee for the rich heritage which is ours in thy holy catholic Church. Thou hast done much for us already and we believe that thou hast also much to give and teach us in our own time. Grant that thy Church may never settle down to mere contentment with the tradition of the past. Grant that it may be alive to all new movements of thy Spirit in the hearts and minds of men. May it stand always for the removal of injustice and the vindication of righteousness and truth; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
52. ALMIGHTY GOD, whose Son Jesus Christ came to cast fire upon the earth; grant that by the prayers of thy faithful people a fire of burning zeal may be kindled and pass from heart to heart, that the light of thy Church may shine forth bright and clear; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THE UNITY OF THE CHURCH
53. O LORD Jesus Christ, who didst pray for thy disciples that they might be one even as thou art one with the Father, draw us to thyself that, in common love and obedience to thee, we may be united to one another in the fellowship of the one Spirit, that the world may believe that thou art Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.
FOR THE MISSIONARY WORK OF THE CHURCH
54. O THOU who art the light of the world, the desire of all nations, and the shepherd of our souls; let thy light shine in the darkness, that all the ends of the earth may see the salvation of our God. By the lifting up of thy cross, gather the peoples to thine obedience, to whom alone belongeth the scepter and the crown; let thy sheep hear thy voice and be brought home to thy fold; so that there may be one flock, one shepherd; one holy kingdom of righteousness and peace; one God and Father of us all above all and through all and in all. Amen.
55. EVERLASTING FATHER. the radiance of faithful souls, who didst bring the nations to thy light and kings to the brightness of thy rising; fill, we beseech thee, the world with thy glory and show thyself unto all the nations; through him who is the true light and the bright and morning star, Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord. Amen.
56. MERCIFUL GOD, who hast made all men for love, and wiliest that all should be saved and come to the knowledge of thy truth; have mercy upon those who know thee not and so fetch them home, blessed Lord, to thy Son who was lifted up to draw all men unto him, that they may be numbered among thy faithful servants and be made one flock under one shepherd, even our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
FOR MISSIONARY WORKERS OVERSEAS
57. BESTOW, O Lord, thy heavenly grace upon all who are called to be fellow workers with thee, that by them Christ may be lifted up in every land and all men be drawn to him. In times of loneliness and weariness cheer them with thy presence; in disappointment give them patience; in the press of affairs keep their spirits fresh; in difficulties and dangers uphold and protect them; in success keep them humble of heart; in failure strengthen them to persevere. Make them to be joyful in spirit, radiant in life, steadfast in faith zealous in service, and at all times deepen in them the sense of dependence upon thee and give them peace in thy service; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
58. LORD of the nations, who hast broken down in Christ the wall of partition between Jew and Gentile, bond and free' unite the Christian people of different races in the bonds of a true brotherhood. Grant that all who go out to be witnesses for Christ in other lands may reflect his Spirit of self-sacrifice and humble service, and that the young churches of those lands may grow up to a fuller stature by the glad acceptance of their help and fellowship; so that East and West, made one in Christ, may together labor for the bringing in of thy kingdom; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR BISHOPS, CLERGY AND MIINISTERS
59. O LORD God Almighty, who didst endue thine apostles so richly with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, grant to all thy servants who minister and teach in thy holy name, the spirit of wisdom and love, that in all their words and deeds they may seek thy glory and the increase of thy kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THOSE ABOUT TO BE ORDAINED
60. ALMIGHTY GOD, the giver of all good gifts, who of thy divine providence hast appointed various orders in thy Church: give thy grace, we beseech thee, to all those who are to be called to any office or administration in the same; and so replenish them with the truth of thy doctrine, and endue them with innocency of life, that they may faithfully serve before thee, to the glory of thy great name, and the benefit of thy holy Church; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THOSE IN TRAINING FOR THE MINISTRY
61. O THOU true Light that lightest every man, coming into the world; do thou in thy mercy touch the heart and enlighten the understanding of all whom thou dost call to the service of thy Church; that they may cheerfully acknowledge and readily obey thy claim upon their lives, to the benefit of thy people and the glory of thy holy name; who with the Father and the Holy Spirit livest and reignest, world without end. Amen.
FOR THE SUPPLY OF CANDIDATES FOR THE MINISTRY
62. O ALMIGHTY GOD, who in thy mercy hast redeemed the world by the love of thy dear Son; call many, we beseech thee, to the ministry of thy Church, so that by their labors thy light may shine in the darkness, and the kingdom of thy Son be hastened by the perfecting of thy people; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THE PARISH
63. ALMIGHTY and Everlasting God, who dost govern all things in heaven and earth, mercifully hear our prayers, and grant to this parish (and place in which we live) all things needful for its spiritual welfare. Strengthen and confirm the faithful, visit and relieve the sick, turn and soften the wicked, arouse the careless, recover the fallen, restore the penitent. Remove all hindrances, we beseech thee to the advancement of thy truth, and bring us all to be of one heart and mind in Jesus Christ, to the honor and glory of thy holy name. Amen.
64. VISIT, O Lord, this parish with thy mercy, and remove far from it all the snares of the enemy; let thy holy presence dwell in it to preserve us in peace, and let thy blessing be upon us evermore; through Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.
FOR GOVERNMENTS AND THE COMITY OF NATIONS
65. ALMIGHTY GOD, who alone givest wisdom and understanding; inspire, we pray thee, the minds of all to whom thou hast committed the responsibility of government and leadership in the nations of the world. Give to them the vision of truth and justice, that by their counsel all nations and classes may work together in true brotherhood, and thy Church may serve thee in unity and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR OUR COUNTRY
66. O LORD our God, who dost will for all nations such good things as pass man's understanding; shape the desires and deeds of thy people in accordance with thy purpose for the world, that, seeking first thy kingdom and righteousness, we may be good citizens of this nation, and set forth the true welfare of mankind; through thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom with thee and the Holy Spirit be all honor and glory, world without end. Amen.
67. ALMIGHTY GOD, our Heavenly Father, bless our country that it may be a blessing to the world; grant that our ideals and aspirations may be in accordance with thy will, and help us to see ourselves as others see us. Keep us from hypocrisy in feeling or action. Grant us sound government and just laws, good education and a clean press, simplicity and justice in our relations with one another, and, above all, a spirit of service which will abolish pride of place and inequality of opportunity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
68. TEACH us, O Lord, to see every question of foreign policy in the light of our creed; that we may check in ourselves and in others every temper which makes for war, all ungenerous judgments, all promptings of self-assurance, all presumptuous claims; and grant that being ever ready to recognize the needs and aspirations of other nations, we may. with patience, do whatsoever in us lies to remove suspicions and misunderstandings; and to honor all men in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THOSE ENGAGED IN INDUSTRY
69. O GOD, the Father of all mankind, we beseech thee to inspire us with such love, truth, and equity. that in all our dealings one with another we may show forth our brotherhood in thee; for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
70. O GOD, who hast taught us that we are members one of another, remove, we beseech thee, from among us all distrust and bitterness in industrial disputes; and grant that, seeking what is just and equal, and caring for the needs of others, we may live and work together in unity and love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THE SICK
71. ALMIGHTY FATHER, giver of life and strength, restore the joy of thy salvation, we beseech thee, to the sick and suffering (especially those for whom our prayers are desired); that by thy blessing upon them and upon those who minister to them, they may be restored to health of body and mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
A HOSPITAL PRAYER
72. ALMIGHTY GOD, our heavenly Father, who didst send thy Son, Jesus Christ, to be the Saviour and Healer of men; bless, we beseech thee, this hospital and its work; to those who serve, give wisdom and skill, tenderness and strength; to those who are ill, give patience and courage and the recovery of health; and grant that in every hour of trial we may know that thou art near, and put our whole trust in thy goodness and mercy, declared unto us in the same thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THOSE IN TROUBLE
73. O THOU whose presence is .everywhere and whose mercy never faileth, graciously regard all who are in trouble or danger and especially those known to ourselves, (whom we now name in our hearts before thee) ; guide the perplexed, defend the wronged, restore the lost, heal the sick, befriend the lonely, comfort the sorrowing, and receive the spirits of the dying; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
74. ALMIGHTY FATHER, who in thy Word hast taught us that no man lives or dies unto himself; grant us so to fulfill the law of Christ that in bearing one another's burdens we may share in thy work of redemption; through him who has borne our infirmities and now liveth and reigneth, world without end. Amen.
75. LORD JESUS, we beseech thee, by the loneliness of thy suffering on the cross, be nigh unto all them that are desolate and in pain or sorrow to-day; and let thy presence transform their loneliness into comfort, consolation, and holy fellowship with thee, Lord Jesus, thou pitiful Saviour. Amen.
76. COMFORT, O Lord, we pray thee, all who mourn for the loss of those near and dear to them; be with them in their sorrow give them faith to look beyond the troubles of the present time, and to know that neither life nor death can separate us from the love of God which is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR TRAVELERS AND THOSE ON HOLIDAY
77. O GOD, who ever bestowest thy mercy on them that love thee and unto those that serve thee art always near; direct the way of thy servants that, thou being their protector and guide, they may finish their journey in peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
78. GRANT, O Lord, that we may so enjoy our holiday at this season, that our bodies may be strengthened, our minds renewed and our energies quickened for the perfect freedom of thy service; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
79. O GOD, our heavenly Father, we commend unto thy loving care all who are joined to us by the ties of kindred, friendship, and love; keep them, we beseech thee both outwardly in their bodies and inwardly in their souls and let thy merciful blessing ever rest upon them and us through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
80. O THOU, who art present in every place and from w:hose love neither space nor distance can separate us, give us to know that those who are absent from each other are still present with thee; and grant that, though separated, we may realize our communion with one another in the fellowship of thy service here and always through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
FOR THOSE ABOUT TO BE MARRIED
81. LORD GOD, giver of life and love, let thy blessing rest upon those whom thou hast drawn together in love. Build thou for them their home. Give them wisdom for life, and discretion in the guidance of their affairs; and may thy fatherly hand ever be over them and thy Holy Spirit ever be with them; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
COMMENDATIONS AND BENEDICTIONS
82. LOVE eternal,
83. UNTO the King, eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
84. UNTO God's gracious mercy and protection we commit ourselves. The Lord bless us and keep us. The Lord make his face to shine upon us and be gracious unto us. The Lord lift up his countenance upon us, and give us peace, both now and for evermore. Amen.
85. MAY the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, rest upon us and upon all our work and worship done in his name. May he give us light to guide us, courage to support us, and love to unite us, now and for evermore. Amen.
86. NOW the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make us perfect in every good work to do his will, working in us that which is well pleasing in his sight; through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
87. NOW the God of all grace who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that we have suffered awhile, make us perfect, stablish, strengthen us. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
88. NOW unto him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
89. NOW unto him who is able to keep us from falling, and to present us faultless before the presence of his glory, with exceeding joy, to the only wise God, our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen.
90. NOW unto God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit be ascribed, as is most justly due, all honor, power, might, majesty, and dominion henceforth and for evermore. Amen.
Return to The Grey Book
|Web author: Charles Wohlers||U. S. England Scotland Ireland Wales Canada World|