Pilgrims visit Walsingham shrine
Archbishops, bishops, spouses, religious and friends used the free weekend to visit the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, Norfolk. The Bishop of Chichester celebrated the Pilgrimage Mass and the bishops were welcomed by the Shrine Administrator, Fr Martin Warner. The Shrine Shop was a particular hit with the pilgrims, who enjoyed good food and a full round of liturgical services throughout the day.
This ancient shrine of Mary was re-established in 1931, having been quiet since the time of the dissolution of the monasteries during the reign of Henry VIII. Today thousands visit the Holy House, a replica of the house at Nazareth,as well as the Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Centre. The Anglican shrine has prayer cells in many provinces of the Anglican Communion.
Photo montage of the visit (Anglicans Online note: 85k file size. We've tried to keep a high enough quality so the photos are worth looking at.)
Back to front page of this issue