[sysadmin] Skills

Allie Graham allie at justus.anglican.org
Sat May 23 00:57:13 UTC 2015

My academic background is in history, religion, and information science.

Most of my work experience has been in academic libraries (with a year
in a theological library), law libraries, and archives, though I am
currently working in a public library (where I've been working with
inner city kids and technology). I've also had part time jobs in
communications for the last few years.

Most of my recent knowledge has been of the technologies that keep SoAJ
and AO and our servers running, so DNS, domain registries and
registrars, Apache configuration, our strange custom databases like
dio.dat; RCS, ssh and ssh configuration, account creation and deletion,
Unix shell and shell scripts, straightforward PHP, and HTML, and tracing
and analyzing email delivery or non-delivery issues.

I'm a power user of Dreamweaver and Photoshop and have also worked
extensively in Publisher and InDesign, also doing a lot of typsetting
and most of the print publicity for the downtown library branch that
doesn't come from our system's one graphic designer. I've used Word and
Excel macros, but prefer to avoid them.

I'm also quite familiar with resources that,  while available to the
public, are usually only known to those in their fields (and reference
librarians), and have a tendency to find the answers to questions rather
quickly (we don't have to know the answer, just how to find it).

Though I'm not an artist, I'm pretty good at taking sketches and
suggestions for what documents or pages should look like and making it
so. Most of my MySQL experience came from assignments in grad school.