[Healing] Who Heals?

JOHN & LINDA SURINCHAK jab12 at prodigy.net
Wed Aug 2 02:56:37 GMT 2006

Peter Thomas is disappointed with the dearth of activity in this discussion group.  The following is something which I am also submitting to the Order of St Luke discussion group.

      Francis MacNutt, the director of the Christian Healing Ministry in Jacksonville, FL, authored an article in his most recent Healing Line newsletter entitled "Does Science Now Prove That Inercessory Prayer Doesn't Work?" http://www.christianhealingmin.org/newsletter/2006/0506Article01.htm

    In his article MacNutt questions the design of a medical Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in Cardiac Bypass Patients (STEP) which produced negative results.  There were three groups praying for the rapid healing of the patients and MacNutt feels that there are two issues present, 1) did the intercessors accept healing as a blessing from God and 2) were the intercessors experienced?"  MacNutt claims that the two groups of Benedictine and Carmelite nuns, although steeped in a Christian prayer tradition, possessed a bias in that "part of their unique calling has been to accept suffering as a kind of substitute martyrdom united to the suffering of Christ."   Therefore they did not possess an expectant faith - "a belief that when they pray a real physical healing may take place."  The third prayer group was one from the Silent Unity Church in Missouri.  This group, who MacNutt referred to as Unitarians, were deficient as "Unitarians do not have the
 reputation in believing in the uniqueness of Jesus as the Son of God."
      I disagree with MacNutt's conclusions as he places the healing on the shoulders of the intercessors and thus belittles the power of God.  How often have we heard a minister say that the individual does not have to describe their illness as God knows what's wrong?   We are dealing with an omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing being....is it necessary for those praying for healing to be experienced, have certain expectations or to possess certain training?   To paraphrase the Rev Mark Pearson..."you know how to talk?  Well prayer is talking while looking up."
      MacNutt equivalates the Silent Unity with the Unitarians.  This is not accurate.  The Unity Church is composed of Christians who posses a long prayer tradition; in fact, a huge one.  A visit to their site at www.unityonline.org bears this out.
      Why did the study have a negative outcome?  I don't know,  but as a healing prayer minister I have seen several miraculous healing over the years and have received  positive reports from many people.  I've myself have experienced great results on two occassions with prayer for my knees.  Curioser and curioser...I don't pretend to know what God is doing here.  All I know is that this study will not deter me from offering healing prayer to those in need.
      I wish to express my utmost respect for Francis MacNutt.  My response to his article is an academic one.

      Blessings....John Surinchak+,   www.SVhealing.org

Br John Surinchak +, OSL
Santa Venetia Healing Ministry (UAC)
Non Ministrari sed Ministrare