[Francophones] Je fais suivre cet article tel qu'il est publié par le quotidien "New Times" de Kigali.

Bishop Venuste Mutiganda audivia2002 at yahoo.fr
Mar 1 Déc 13:11:14 GMT 2009

Tuesday, 1st December 2009

    Mixed reactions on restoration of Rwanda, France relations

    L-R : GERMAN AMBASSADOR: Elmar Timpe;BELGIAN AMBASSADOR: Ivo Goemans

    BY JAMES KARUHANGA

    KIGALI -
The announcement by government Sunday that Rwanda is set to restore
relations with France has been received with mixed reactions, with
many, particularly the diplomatic corps, welcoming the development. The
government announced the decision to reinstate relations with France
after Presidents Paul Kagame and Nicolas Sarkozy spoke on phone Sunday
and agreed to start the process of normalizing ties. It says
this has been the finale of prior extensive consultations between the
two governments, at different levels, and Rwanda emphasized willingness
“to working out in due course all outstanding issues based on mutual
understanding.” A seemingly ecstatic Ivo Goemans, the Belgian
ambassador in Kigali, told The New Times that Belgium, being a European
country, was pleased and would “welcome our French colleagues when they
come to reopen their embassy in Kigali.” “It is very good news,
but we are waiting for details of course, especially on how the crucial
problem (indictments by a French Judge) will be resolved. The judicial
problem is the most important – it was the origin of the breakup.  “This also concerns the other EU countries and we are really eager to know about it,” Goemans said. German
Ambassador, Elmar Timpe, also welcomed Sunday’s revelation, saying it
is “a very good step and very good news” for both countries. “I
think that each and every one in the international community and in
Europe is very pleased by this step – and that there will be progress
made in order to improve relations. We can only congratulate them,”
Ambassador Timpe said. However, Theodore Simburudali, the head
of the genocide survivors’ organization, Ibuka , seemed not entirely
moved by the development largely due to France’s role in the 1994
Genocide against the Tutsi. “We don’t make these decisions – it
is the government of Rwanda that decides who to have relations with as
well as with whom not to have relations with,” Simburudali said.  “It
is okay as long as it doesn’t diminish France’s responsibility – the
role they played in the killing of the Tutsi during the Genocide in
this country.” Since the election of President Sarkozy, Paris
says the country has made efforts to turn the page and normalize
relations with Rwanda. Presidents Kagame and Sarkozy have met twice
since the breakup. French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has
travelled to Kigali twice, and Rwandan and French officials have held
several discussions in an effort to find a common ground. Ends