[Europe.justus] Fwd: The Almost Daily eMo from GeraniumFarm.org

Pierre Whalon bppwhalon at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 20:31:16 GMT 2009

While we still have Barbara+ with us, I thought many would find this
helpful... including the Moretz link.

+Pierre

Début du message réexpédié :

> De : Barbara Crafton <bccrafton at geraniumfarm.org>
> Date : 2 avril 2009 11:16:18 HAEC
> À : <bppwhalon at aol.com>
> Objet : The Almost Daily eMo from GeraniumFarm.org
>
> PAVANNE FOR CHURCH
>
> Of course, it's two in the morning in New York -- but I will find
> something there, for sure. Brahms on WQXR -- dare I write in this
> space that (except for the Academic Festival Overture, without which
> life would be even harder than it is) Brahms is not my absolute
> favorite composer? And they're playing tense contemporary music over
> on WNYC -- they do that often in the middle of the night. Don't they
> know people are trying to sleep? But wait -- ToscanaClassico is
> right here in my back yard and they're playing harpsichord. Ah.
> Grazie.
>
> Holy Week is a hard week in church, but the week before it arrives
> is no rest cure, either. Clergy and laity alike reach for what they
> need to help them through, and many of them reach for music. As
> uphill as the preparation is, it does involve music, and that is a
> saving grace. You page through the hymnal, thumb through your memory
> to find something that will connect with the story as it unfolds.
> You find many things. Some of what you find will be possible, and
> some of that will unlock a new room in the hearts of some of the
> people who hear. How many of them? Well, some. That's all you ever
> know in this business.
>
> And you? You sit in front of the computer screen for hours. When you
> venture out for the paper, you realize that you haven't left church
> property for days. You have been glued here. A better administrator
> than you are would have found a way to make this week a gentle and
> stately dance of sensible preparation for the church year's greatest
> feast, but you are not a better administrator than you are. You are
> left searching frantically for music to hold onto, music that will
> help you through the jitterbug you're doing.
>
> You play music that sounds the way you wish you felt. Harpsichord
> music, pensive string quartets, studded here and there with the
> slightest of dissonances. Church music from medieval Spain. Organ
> music from the 17th century. Tallis motets. You play music from
> other ages, times in which people didn't expect things to happen
> instantly, times in which ideas had a chance to develop in layers,
> year upon year. Music with ample room in it for wonder and mystery.
> You play music that is the way you wish you were. And -- miracle! --
> hearing the music makes you a little more that way. A little more.
> Calmer than you were -- a little calmer, anyway. Music has prayed
> you into another place. Good -- somebody had to do it, and it was
> just beyond you this time.
>
> The nice thing about church is that it's not all up to you. Not all
> the resources can come from within you. Maybe none of them can, not
> today. Church isn't just you at your very, very best. Sometimes it's
> [...]

The Rt. Rev. Pierre W. Whalon, D.D.
Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe
23 avenue George V
75008 Paris France
+33 1 53 23 84 06  (tel)
+33 1 49 52 96 85 (fax)