Christ Church: Restoration Exhibition 1878-2008

Christ Church Cathedral Dublin webeditor at cccdub.ie
Fri Jul 18 18:51:35 GMT 2008

C H R I S T  C H U R C H  C A T H E D R A L  D U B L I N
F r i d a y  1 8  J u l y  2 0 0 8

E X H I B I T I O N :  C H R I S T  C H U R C H  1 8 7 8 - 2 0 0 8
______________________

This year marks the 130th anniversary of the re-opening
of Christ Church after a lengthy closure during which
G.E. Street's major restoration of the building took place.
In May the cathedral held a series of lunchtime lectures
on the restoration. Today, an exhibition of remarkable
drawings and photographs showing Street's work in progress
was mounted in the crypt and will remain there over the
summer months. The exhibition has been curated by
Dr Michael O'Neill, who is also largely responsible for the
display of carved stones from the medieval cathedral that
is now attracting so much attention in the north transept.

The restoration exhibition was made financially possible
by the generosity of the Heritage Council and a corporate
donor. The Irish language body, 'Colmcille', has generously
loaned us the splendid display boards originally used for
its own events in the crypt last year. While the exhibition
is now available to the public, it will be officially opened
following evensong on Saturday 20 September by
Professor Roger Stalley of Trinity College, who has
written extensively about Christ Church.
______________________

For details of the exhibition see the cathedral website at:
http://cccdub.ie/heritage/architecture/exhibition/1878-2008.html

N.B. The INFERNO EXHIBITION by the artist Samuel Walsh
based on Dante's 'Divine Comedy' and due to take place in
the crypt from Friday 18 July to Saturday 16 August 2008
has been CANCELLED due to unforeseen administrative
difficulties. We apologise to those who had been looking
forward to seeing the exhibition.

All are most welcome to attend all cathedral services and events.
Details of these can usually be found online at:
http://cccdub.ie/whatsnew/diary/diary.html or
http://cccdub.mhsoftware.com

Visit the CATHEDRAL SHOP online now at:
http://christchurchdublin.ie/shop/

See the Dean's Vicar's Review of JULY 2008:
http://cccdub.ie/whatsnew/review/review.html

Visit Cultivate, a cultural centre in Essex Street West,
http://cultivate.ie

Why not visit Dvblinia, the medieval exhibition,
or their website available at: http://dublinia.ie.