Christ Church: Art & Music Course - Spring 2005

Christ Church Cathedral Dublin webeditor at cccdub.ie
Sat Dec 18 15:55:57 GMT 2004

C H R I S T  C H U R C H  C A T H E D R A L  D U B L I N
A r t  &  M u s i c  C o u r s e  —  S p r i n g  2 0 0 5

A R T  &  M U S I C  I N  T H E  L I F E
O F  T H E  C H R I S T I A N  C H U R C H
______________________

Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin will make history
this Spring with the provision of a 6 week evening course:
'Art and Music in the Life of the Christian Church',
believed to be the first formal initiative by an Irish cathedral
in the field of adult and continuing education.

The course will be on Monday evenings from 7 February
to 14 March 2005 and will provide an introduction to the
history of art and music in the context of the Christian
tradition, comprising two illustrated lectures on art and
music sequentially per evening.

Art lectures will cover topics such as great religious
paintings, architecture, stained glass and icons, while the
music lectures will feature the history of the organ, oratorio,
the Anglican choral tradition and modern liturgical music.

Speakers include Raymond Keaveney (National Gallery),
Nicola Gordon-Bowe (NCAD), Barra Boydell (NUI Maynooth),
Rachel Moss (Irish Art Research Centre TCD), Jennifer O’Reilly
(UCC) and Andrew Johnstone (Christ Church and TCD).
______________________

For further details, contact the course director, Aonghus Dwane,
(01) 473 7118 or education at cccdub.ie or see online at:
http://cccdub.ie/archives/cc-lecture-series/art-music/art-music.html

N.B. Closing date for registration is 31 December 2004.

All are most welcome to attend all cathedral services and events.
Details of these can usually be found online at:
http://cccdub.ie/whatsnew/diary/diary.html

See the updated December 2004 review at:
http://cccdub.ie/whatsnew/review/review.html

Updates to the cathedral website are listed at:
http://cccdub.ie

Why not visit Dvblinia, the medieval exhibition, or their
new website available at: http://www.dublinia.ie.