[RivCompanions] for companions -

susanna601 at aol.com susanna601 at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 14:34:28 UTC 2014

Dear Companions,

I voted YES to the tractor - but I have some different questions that were not clear in my mind, and which I posed to Susie.
Susie and I have discussed this. V and I have talked briefly as well.
But Susie said that she did not receive this when I sent it to all the professed, so I have corrected the figures and am sending it again.
Please, let's discuss this as unemotionally as possible - and on this list. This is NOT a concern that the novices and postulants need to be engaged in at this point...
We now owe ourselves $80,000.....That nearly empties the "development fund" that Virginia set up for Rivendell when she received a large chunk of money from her Aunt's estate. That just means we have spent nearly all of the $100,000 she gave to the Community after her Aunt's death, and it means there is no more to be had - so we need to husband whatever resources we still have carefully.
My concern was/is simply this: How do we repay ourselves without increased, steady income? 
Our monthly repayment is now not just the $365 Susie mentions, but with the other loans, the total repayment is close to $1,500/mo. 

The financial aspect of this is essential to consider, since Virginia is also looking to move to Houston and her retirement income will need to go with her to finance a small apartment. She needs the quiet and privacy of her own space. She has already researched cost of living there. She and I talked briefly about this yesterday. Her income will NOT remain in Dunnegan when she moves.

Once we take Virgina's income out of the equation, is there enough regular income from Susie's retirement, from retreats, from Companions, to pay this amount AND keep up the other expenses of the house? (We have, of course, lost also the Diocesan support for room/board and Virgina's leadership of George Herbert) 
There will be $15,000 left in the "development fund" and approximately $6,000 left in the savings account (Susie couldn't remember exactly how much, and I don't know) -       Is that enough reserve in case of emergency?
I am still concerned about the long-term financial viability of Rivendell (the house) without a real plan for its long-term use and income. I know we have dreams and ideas, but that is not quite the same as a plan.
Again, please, I am not attacking Susie, who is my friend; I am not denying the need for a tractor. I am not "siding with" anyone or against anyone. 
I am asking questions we need to be able to discuss without just saying to Susie, "whatever you want is fine" - because that puts a huge burden on her to make all the right choices when she is not sure what Virginia thinks or, for that matter, what God intends - 
OR to say to V, "whatever you say is fine" - which puts an identical burden on her to speak up when she is unsure, but reluctant to disagree -  and is herself unsure about God's purposes in all this - and when the two of them do not see quite eye-to-eye it leaves them both struggling to decide how to proceed - 
Everyone needs to engage in this conversation, because it affects all of us - The question of planning, actual, hard planning for our future in Dunnegan HAS TO HAPPEN, and preferably first among us.
The consensus at Chapter was that we should keep the property and there is now a consensus that we should incur more "debt" or spend most of our remaining resources - whichever way you want to put it - 
But it is not fair to leave all the details about how this ACTUALLY works out to Susie and Virginia alone just because for the moment they are the only ones who live there and it is easier to dump the whole thing in their laps.
And no, I do NOT have any answers, either. But that does not obviate the need we all have to have a serious conversation about this - 
 -----Original Message-----
From: susanna601 <susanna601 at aol.com>
To: RivCompanions <RivCompanions at justus.anglican.org>
Sent: Tue, Jun 24, 2014 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [RivCompanions] Vote needed

I vote yes, but I do want to be clear about the internal loan status - 
This is my understanding from what Susie wrote: When we buy the tractor, our debt (to ourselves) will be approximately $80,000.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            We will have approximately $15,000 left in the development fund which will only slowly recover.                                                                                                                          That leaves us no financial wiggle-room should something else come up.
What I do not see is the total amount of the MONTHLY loan repayment, for all three loans.
I'd like to be reassured that whatever it is, that the monthly total will not exceed what we can comfortably re-pay ourselves.
-----Original Message-----
From: Claudia & Joe Porter <porter45 at bellsouth.net>
To: Companions of the Rivendell Community <RivCompanions at justus.anglican.org>
Sent: Mon, Jun 23, 2014 8:25 pm
Subject: Re: [RivCompanions] Vote needed

Yes -- from Claudia and Joe -- good choice of tractor!

On Jun 23, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Susie Danielsson <susiedanielsson at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

This is going only to the professed voting members (I think) plus Bp Barry, who is interested in what we are doing.

The consensus seems to be that we should buy the new Kabota tractor.  I've been in to the dealer again this morning and talked with Tim Vaughn who seems to be the one person who isn't trying to sell me the biggest, best tractor, and who is friendly in our small town way, answers all my questions, and is just a nice guy.

Oh, by the way, I had a brain phart when I gave you all the first quote on the L4600.  It is actually $24,860 after the $1000 cash discount. I subtracted rather than added. <blush>

So, the L3800 is a bit smaller in horse power and it comes with a 5' front loader rather than a 6'.  It will still do the work we need.  Powerful enough to grade the lane of all the pot holes and ruts.  It will pull a 6' brush hog and it does not have cruise control. 

The L3800 seems to be just right for our needs and the cost, tax-exempt and with the cash discount is $20,945.00.  That's a significant difference!

I propose we purchase the L3800 taking an internal loan from the Development account, repaying it over five years as if we were getting financing from Quarles Kabota. We could include the $1,000 discount as interest.  That would be a monthly payment to ourselves of $365.75. Of course, if anyone wants to pay into it that would help.

If you remember from the financial report (I didn't, why would you?) we have an outstanding loan balance for the cottages of $53,883.52, although that doesn't include the June payment. There is also an outstanding loan balance of $5200 on loan B.  We will have a balance in the Development account of $15,121.00 after taking the $20,945.  

My motion is to buy the Kabota L3800 at a cost of $20,945.00 using the Development account funds, to be repaid monthly over 5 years at $365.75 per month.  

We are desperate now that we've had rain to get working!  Please vote ASAP by replying to this email. Please do not reply to me personally.  The whole Community of professed members should see the vote.  

Much love,


RivCompanions mailing list
RivCompanions at justus.anglican.org

RivCompanions mailing list
RivCompanions at justus.anglican.org


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://justus.anglican.org/pipermail/rivcompanions.justus/attachments/20140625/02abcf88/attachment.html>

More information about the RivCompanions.justus mailing list