[RivCompanions] Emmaus Online Chapter

McKay, Murray murray.mckay at siemens.com
Thu Oct 17 11:33:51 UTC 2013

Companions:

> Emmaus Chapter is currently using our chapter meetings to go through the formation materials with the Memphis postulants.   We have been using Google+ Hangouts to allow Noel and Michael to participate.   However, the postulants are finding this distracting and unproductive because:
>
> * The sound quality through Hangouts is sometimes poor making it difficult to understand what people are saying
> * Even when the volume is turned up all the way, it is difficult for everyone physically present to hear the particpants on the computer (and turning the volume up seems to make the sound quality issues worse)
> * The transmission delay through Hangouts disrupts the normal flow of conversation
> * The postulants are interested in building community, but they have not met (in person) the people in the Hangout, so have no sense of who they are
>
> My take on this is that while physical meetings work well, and Google Hangout meetings work well, mixed physical and hangout meetings do not work as well.
>
> Our last chapter meeting, on 10/5, was a physical-only meeting (due to Noel and Michael being unavailable, and because the location of the meeting wasn't set up for online access).   This meeting went quite well and was productive for the postulants.
>
> Therefore, unless there is strong objection, Emmaus will be doing physical-only meetings, at least for a while.   Once the postulants get to know the participants better (Noel and Michael are visiting Memphis at the end of October), we may review this policy again.
>
> Regards,
> Murray

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. The information contained herein may include trade secrets, protected health or personal information, privileged or otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your cooperation