[Francophones] message de Ogé Beauvoir

Pierre Whalon bishop at tec-europe.org
Ven 15 Jan 21:01:59 GMT 2010

L'ancien président du Réseau francophone a contacté Trinity Church Wall Street.

Voici ce qu'il dit:

Update from Canon Beauvoir, Dean of the Seminary in Haiti and a priest in our Diocese

The Rev. Canon Oge Beauvoir called the Trinity Grants Program office today by cell phone.

Canon Beauvoir reported that he and his wife are safe and staying in a displacement camp organized by the Bishop of Haiti. Canon Beauvoir is providing leadership at the camp, which is holding roughly 1,000 people. The Sisters of St. Margaret are also there helping people.

He described grim conditions.

"It is hard to get food and medicine because everything is closed," he said. At this point, they have water, but the camp only has access to one water tank, and the water is running lower.

There is a single truck that takes the injured to the hospital and the dead to be buried. The hospital has been turning back some of the injured. "They can't take that many," said Canon Beauvoir.

At the time of the earthquake, Canon Beauvoir and his wife were in their home. "I thought the house was going to crash," he said, but they managed to escape without injury.

"For the first time I was certain I faced death. I was certain we were going to die."

Bishop Duracin's home was destroyed and his wife was injured. She has been brought to a hospital run by Partners in Health, one of the few still open. "The Bishop has nothing left," Canon Beauvoir reported.

Before the line failed, Canon Beauvoir described a litany of buildings that had "crashed" - the seminary, the convent, the university, the trade school.

"It's scary," he said.

Bishop (Mgr) Pierre Whalon
Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe
23, avenue George V
75008 Paris France
+33 1 53 23 84 06  (tel)
+33 1 49 52 96 85 (fax)