[Francophones] Je copie cet article tel qu'il est en Anglais publié par un quotidien de Kigali "New Times".

Bishop Venuste Mutiganda audivia2002 at yahoo.fr
Sam 11 Oct 08:53:45 GMT 2008

Saturday, 11th October 2008

    MONUC confirms DRC army–FDLR alliance

    BY KENNEDY NDAHIRO

    The
United Nations peacekeeping mission in DR Congo (Monuc) has confirmed
reports that the government army (FARDC) is fighting alongside rebels
of the FDLR in its war against an uprising in the east of the country. In
a BBC radio interview monitored in Kigali, Monuc’s militaryspokesman
Lt. Col Jean-Paul Dietrich, said that they had evidence of FARDC having
joint operations with FDLR. Rwanda was the first to denounce the military cooperation between both parties though the DRC government has always denied it.  “We have seen evidence of these collusions,” he said.
Fighting
erupted more than two weeks ago in South Kivu between Laurent Nkunda’s
National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP) and a coalition
of government forces, Rwandan rebels of the FDLR and other smaller
militias. The spokesman also denied claims by the DRC that Rwandan troops were fighting alongside Nkunda.
“We have no evidence of those allegations,” Dietrich told a BBC reporter. In
the meantime, CNDP has accused Monuc of handing over Rumangabo barracks
back to the government forces, contrary to an agreement between the
rebels and the UN body. The strategic barracks fell into the
hands of the rebels early this week but pulled back after a meeting
between Nkunda and the EU special envoy in the region, Ambassador Van
de Geer at Kilorirwe in Masisi territory. CNDP spokesman, Bertrand Bisimwa told The New Times
yesterday that the rebels had agreed to pull back on three conditions:
To have direct talks with the Government of President Kabila in a
neutral country; Rumangabo to remain a buffer zone; and FARDC to pull
out of the areas that were originally a buffer zone. “We were
surprised to learn that Monuc handed over the barracks just hours after
we had handed it over,” said Bisimwa, adding that their voluntary
returning of the captured barracks was a gesture of goodwill towards
having a peaceful settlement to the conflict. “But President
Kabila does not want to talk to us. He is calling on the population of
Kivu to help him destroy us. We do not think he really wants peace,”
alleged the spokesman. Monuc Spokesman Michel Bonnardeaux was unreachable for comment as all calls were diverted to voicemail. Ends