[Europe.justus] trip to Haiti--change of plans

Pierre Whalon Bishop at tec-europe.org
Tue Feb 23 17:55:55 GMT 2010

Dear All,

I have been asked by the Presiding Bishop to go to Haiti after my trip to Washington DC.

Originally I had been asked to participate in an interreligious "summit" on March 1-3  that grew out of my trip to Teheran over three years ago. (If you are interested, see  http://bit.ly/cFRMuA)

Bishop Katharine asked that I accompany Archbishop Thabo Mokgoba of South Africa in Port-au-Prince and bring Bishop Zaché Duracin out to be with his wife Marie-Édithe, who is recovering from serious issues suffered when their house collapsed during the earthquake.

This trip will take place 4-7 March. I will be able to fly back on the 8th.

Of course this means I cannot teach the Academy for Parish Leadership. I am happy to report that the Very Rev. Zachary Fleetwood, Dean of our Cathedral, has agreed to replace me as teacher for that event, the first in what we hope will eventually be a tradition in the Convocation. The Academy is meant for new lay leaders to receive an in-depth orientation to shared leadership in our parishes and missions. No one is better equipped for this than Dean Fleetwood.

Please pray for me for a safe and fruitful trip, as well as for Bishop Duracin, his wife, and all the people of Haiti...The Episcopal Church's largest diocese...

All good blessings

Bishop Pierre

Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe
23, avenue George V
75008 Paris France
+33 1 53 23 84 06  (tel)
+33 1 49 52 96 85 (fax)