[Europe.justus] we have a rich history in Europe...

Bishop bishop at tec-europe.org
Thu Sep 3 05:27:12 GMT 2009

Dear All

You may interested to know that the daughter of Edward Bouverie Pusey,
the great Oxford Movement leader in our saints calnedar, was
instrumental in the founding of St Augustine's, Wiesbaden. Here is an
excerpt from the current parish newsletter, with drawing:

"When I published my book on the history of St.
Augustine’s church in 2003 I included resumés
and, where possible, photographs, of all our
former rectors. The earliest photograph I was
able to find at the time was of the Rev. William
Osborne, who was our rector from 1870 –
1875.
Recently, however, while exploring the internet
on another matter, I came across the following
drawing, which is housed in the National
Portrait Gallery in London. It shows the Rev.
James Brine, who was our rector from 1861 –
1867. It was he who pushed forward the plans
to get our church built and was not only
present at the laying of the foundation stone in
June 1863 but he also held the first service
here in November 1864. His wife, Mary Amelia
Brine, was the daughter of Dr. Edward
Bouverie Pusey, who was the leader of the
Oxford Movement with Keble and Newman
from 1833 to 1845.
This charming drawing, done by Clara Pusey,
shows Dr. Pusey (aged 56) with various
members of his family at breakfast at his
home in Christ Church College, Oxford in
1856. Sidney (aged 16), Clara and Edith."

Hilary Norman

You can get a current copy by writing to Christine Spethmann at

christine_spethmann at gmx.de

Bishop Pierre

Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe
23, avenue George V
75008 Paris France
+33 1 53 23 84 06  (tel)
+33 1 49 52 96 85 (fax)