[Europe.justus] Environtmental Network on Copenhagen summit

Bishop bishop at tec-europe.org
Sun Oct 11 08:09:58 GMT 2009

PRESS RELEASE

The Hope We Share: A Vision For Copenhagen

A Statement from the Anglican Communion Environmental Network

In preparation for the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change (UNFCCC) Conference Of Parties (COP) Meetings to be held in
Copenhagen, Denmark in December, the Anglican Communion Environmental
Network (ACEN) has issued a statement to Anglicans Worldwide, to COP
Delegates, Faith Community Representatives, Observer Organizations,
and Friends of Creation.

Conferring by email, and using a draft text by Convener, Bishop George
Browning, retired Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn in Australia, the
network’s nineteen provincial representatives considered and amended a
three-page statement seeking to address the moral consequences of
climate change and to provoke UN delegates to combine hope with
realism as they devise a political system which will take effect in
2012 when the Kyoto Protocol expires:

We look to the Copenhagen conference with hope but also with
realism . . . there must be a desire on the part of every nation to do
what they know they must, not because they are legally bound, but
because they share a vision for a more just and sustainable
future . . . We pray that each nation will come to the conference
wanting the highest level outcome; that demanding targets will be set,
not in an attempt to discipline reluctant participants, or to give
some preferential treatment which undermines the whole; but that a
greater vision might be shared.

The Anglican Communion occupies a unique position globally in terms of
affecting and suffering from climate change:

 From all points of the globe we point to the reality of climate
change and to the very serious effect it is already having upon our
people; from severe weather events, to prolonged droughts, major
floods, loss of habitat and changing seasons.

Our position is faith-based:

Our faith and our ancestors have always taught us that the earth is
our mother and deserves respect; we know that this respect has not
been given. We know that like a mother the earth will continue to give
its all to us. However, we also know that we are now demanding more
than it is able to provide. Science confirms what we already know, our
human footprint is changing the face of the earth and because we come
from the earth, it is changing us too.

Our statement is framed in the context of hope channeled through a
positive vision.

We have always known that “without a vision, the people perish”.  The
Copenhagen Conference can either produce a bland, minimalist set of
non enforceable targets or it can sketch a vision to inspire the world
and its peoples.  Leaders lead, please . . . do not let us down.

-
end
-                                                                               Contact
  Information and notes overleaf .

Contact:

The Rt. Rev. George Browning, Convener

mailto:gandmbrowning at bigpond.com

Statement Draft

The Rev. Terrie Robinson, Anglican Communion Networks Coordinator

mailto:terrie.robinson at anglicancommunion.org

Anglican communion Networks Context

Office of the UN Observer, New York

mailto:unoffice at anglicancommunion.org

UN functions

The Rev. Ken Gray, Communications

mailto:canadaacen at shaw.ca

The ACEN

http://acen.anglicancommunion.org/index.cfm

As an official network of the Anglican Communion the ACEN strives:

·      to encourage Anglicans to support sustainable environmental
practices as individuals and in the life of their communities

·      to provide information about policies embraced by synods,
councils and commissions, and especially by the instruments of Unity
(Statements by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Resolutions and Reports
of the Lambeth Conference and the Anglican Consultative Council)

·      to support local initiatives by providing information about
ideas and best practices developed around the communion

·      to share information about resources and initiatives that may
be of value to Anglicans everywhere

·      to provide an opportunity for interested Anglicans to meet both
as a formal network, and informally via electronic media.

Bishop (Mgr) Pierre Whalon
Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe
23, avenue George V
75008 Paris France
+33 1 53 23 84 06  (tel)
+33 1 49 52 96 85 (fax)